Davis, de Havilland, Flynn, Cagney, Bogart ...

Davis, de Havilland, Flynn, Cagney, Bogart ...

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Sister Rebecca Flynnigan Answers Your Questions


If the nuns were in charge, everybody would have studied ...

Some of my friends and readers have asked me to identify all of the quotes in my blog header -- so, with an appropriate flourish, here they are!

"With all my heart, I still love the man I killed."  Bette Davis in The Letter

"May I obey all your commands with equal pleasure, sire!"  Errol Flynn in The Adventures of Robin Hood

"Waddya hear, waddya say?"  James Cagney in Angels With Dirty Faces

"The stuff that dreams are made of."  Humphrey Bogart in The Maltese Falcon.
My oldest son's favorite movie riddle is "What is the last line of The Maltese Falcon?"  A lot of people think it's the one just quoted.  It's really "Huh?", spoken by policeman Ward Bond. What poetry!
(That's an old chestnut for rabid classic fans.)

 "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again."  Joan Fontaine in Rebecca

"I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."  Vivien Leigh in A Streetcar Named Desire

"Yes, I can be very cruel.  I have been taught by masters."  Olivia de Havilland in The Heiress

"It's alive!  It's alive!"  Colin Clive in Frankenstein
Or, Colin Clive in Bride of Frankenstein, though I think he only says it once in that one.
Or, Gene Wilder in Young Frankenstein
Or ... Udo Kier in Andy Warhol's Frankenstein?  Know any other versions?

"Made it, Ma!  Top of the world!"  James Cagney in White Heat



11 comments:

  1. Becks you know I'm going to say 'Way too Easy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! You were one of the friends I had in mind when I said in my original piece that some would know everything about them! (They really weren't meant to be hard -- just favorites that always stuck with me.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Becky, the two quotes I culdn't identify were from Angels with Dirty Faces, which I unfortunately haven't watched, and The Heiress, that I have watched, but the quote passed through me without causing such a big imprerssion. By tyhe way, on IMDb this quote is without the "aunt".
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me about the quote, Le -- I like to have it right! That line did make a real impression on me, the way Olivia delivered it. She had been such a sweet, innocent person who didn't understand how cruelly she was being treated. Then she learned, and the sweetness was gone. She hardened, and it kind of broke my heart.

      Delete
  4. Hi Becky, love your new format here. Just stopping by, a bit belated, to welcome you back to blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, John -- I'll get over to your site soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky, I love this Sister Rebecca Flynnigan bit with your favorite movie quotes! Although I've never seen THE HEIRESS in one sitting, I can relate, having known a few sweet, loving people who became bitter after too much disillusionment (I hate when that happens, don't you?.) Anyway, I love that you noted that the real last word in THE MALTESE FALCON is Ward Bond's "Huh?"

    For the record, most of my favorite quotes are either from film noir or comedy-thrillers, as you may have noticed by now, especially anything by Peter Stone, like CHARADE, ARABESQUE, MIRAGE (blogging on another Stone script, THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE soon). (I've told you Team B's CHARADE anecdote, haven't I?) Anyway, I very much enjoyed reading this, Becks, as always! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Big Sis, as always! By the way, when you have a moment in your jet-set life, feel free to drop by TotED and join our 3rd Blogaversary, complete with music from The Flintstones! :-D

      Delete
  7. Comments now enabled on my web at http://theoldmoviehouse.blogspot.ca/
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Becky! Seems like you are really sharp in noticing all of these lines from the movies you watched. I too could keep quotes from movies, but not as sharp as you are.. Where do you normally watch movies? In cinema? In case you don't know, home theater Austin TX offers home theater set up and installation at a very reasonable price. You might want to consider us.. Nevertheless, I am impressed with how you put these quotes together in your blog.


    ReplyDelete